Get ready to whip up a tasty treat for your loved ones. These yummy Valentine’s Day cookies make a wonderful base recipe that allows you to add your own special twist. Serve them up on February 14 or make them in advance and give as gifts.
125g unsalted butter
60g (3oz) caster sugar
60g (3oz) soft light brown sugar
½ tsp vanilla essence
200g plain flour
pinch of salt
¼ tsp ground cinnamon
½ tsp bicarbonate of soda
80g dried cranberries, chopped
60g white chocolate chips plus 60g white chocolate for drizzling
Makes: 8 Valentine’s Day cookies
Cooking: 10 minutes
Preparation: 20 minutes
- Preheat the oven to 170°C/325°F/Gas mark 3.
- Cream together the butter and both types of sugar, then break in the egg, add the vanilla essence and mix well together.
- Sift together the flour, salt, cinnamon and bicarbonate of soda, then add to the creamed mixture until a dough forms. Lastly stir in the cranberries and chocolate into the dough.
- Wrap in cling film and put in the fridge for half an hour to an hour. Flour a surface and roll out the dough until it is around 1 ½ cm thick (if the dough is too wet, sprinkle flour over the surface of the dough). Using cookie cutters, make shapes out of the dough and place on a baking sheet lined with baking paper.
- Place in the oven and bake for 15-20 minutes or until the cookies are a light golden on top. Leave on the sheets for about 10 minutes to cool and set before transferring to a wire rack.
- Melt the white chocolate for drizzling, and once the cookies are cool, drizzle over with a spoon.
This recipe has been written by Alice Fotheringham, the Infant Nutrition Expert at Piccolo, the organic baby food brand.