When I first became a mum I would often get asked “how are you?” and I constantly found myself saying “tired” as I really was exhausted. I was so forgetful that I had to write down the times I fed and changed my baby!
I knew that it wasn’t right to feel so shattered yet I also recognised my body was healing, making milk as well as dealing with broken sleep so I made a few changes that helped me feel more energised.
My extra energy tips
- Go to bed at the same time each night just like you try to do for bub! You might not be able to control the multiple night time wake up calls, but generally you can have control over when you go to sleep.
- Get yourself into a set routine so not only does your body know when it’s time to sleep but also when it’s time to eat, exercise, rest and have bubba time. When your body knows your schedule you can get a lot more out of the few hours of sleep that you do have.
- Hydrate! It sounds simple and it really is, just drinking more does wonders for maintaining your energy levels throughout the day.
- Get moving! Whilst it sounds counterintuitive exercising will improve your overall health plus give you MORE energy! Find time for a morning walk or stretch with baby and use it as quality connecting time.
- Take a nap when baby does. Sometimes you need to, the washing, cleaning can wait; you need to rest so you can perform at your best. Never feel guilty about sleeping and leaving a pile of ironing in the corner.
- Get back to nature. Go outside and breathe some fresh air plus enjoy some time in the sun. This will not only improve mood energy but forms the basis of creating healthy habits for your youngster.
Author CJ’s Fitbumps – CJ is a pre and postnatal holistic health coach, group exercise instructor, personal trainer, nutrition expert and author of The Winning Physique. She provides specialist pre and post natal fitness classes and coaching at Riverside Ice and Leisure as well as offers one to one personalised health coaching programs lifestyle consultations and personal training. Find me at www.cjsfitbumps.com, email me via email@example.com or call me 07557683770.